Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, June 6, 2009

    Babysitting is not my day job.

    Don't get me wrong - I LOVE kids. All kids, not just my own. I've worked for preschools and summer camps, and I would let my kiddo have twenty friends over a day and not blink an eye. What I don't like though, are parents who like to leave their little darlings unattended in public places.

    Now, moms and dads, this seems like a no-brainer, right? I have an (almost) five year old myself, and I would never, ever in a million years, leave him in a public place with total strangers, and just leave! And seriously, this happens to me every. Single. Day.

    My "regular" job happens to be a retail store that does attract kids. We carry some products for kids. Most normal parents come in with their kids. However, we're also located in a big shopping center (strip mall, for those of you familiar with that term). There's a bank, a Chinese restaurant, a pizzeria, a nail salon, a clothing store, a coffee shop, and a major supermarket. A certain amount of kid-only traffic is expected from the tween and teen crowd of course. What baffles me though, are the parents who drop their young kids - age 10 or younger! - at the door, then head to the supermarket for two hours to do their grocery shopping!

    Parents, PLEASE! This is not safe! Although I try to keep an eye out on these unfortunate littles that are unattended, if there are twenty other customers in the store that I need to attend to, I cannot babysit your child for you! This includes the well behaved ones - they may not be causing any harm, but honestly I don't know that the adult they walk out the door with is their parent or guardian. On the other hand you have the little troublemakers, who spend the entire time ripping things off of racks, shoving to get in front of other people, and generally causing mischeif. What am I supposed to do with them when their parents aren't there to handle them?

    Case in point: One Sunday early afternoon, a child about 5 or 6 years old comes in at the same time as a group of teens and adults. An hour and a half later, I realize the child is still there - except now there are no adults in sight, and there haven't been for a while. Another 45 minutes passes, customers come and go, and the child is no longer there. I figure the parent came back to retrieve them (finally). Well, all of a sudden, this child's mom comes in, asking where her son is. I respond that I have no clue who her son is. (I didn't put two and two together until later on.) She proceeds to scream at me and I tell her that I'm sorry, but no one has been in the store for at least 15 minutes. She leaves and calls the police, reporting her child missing. The police come, and I tell them the whole story. An hour after THAT, they finally find the child - he had gone to the supermarket to look for mom because he was bored!

    Of course, all's well that ends well. But, what if that child had been bribed out of the store by an adult and abducted? I cannot fathom ever leaving my child alone somewhere! And this happens at my job not rarely, but actually multiple times on any given day, and moreso on the weekends.

    So, moms and dads, I put this to you: am I expecting too much? Would you leave your child in a kid-friendly store and just assume that they will be safe? Or would you never dream of leaving your child alone somewhere? Tell me your thoughts!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment